Tuesday 3 August 2010

Honey and peanut butter booster bars

Not strictly something that would come from the windowsill (although I guess you could claim that sunflower seeds could have done if our sunflowers had produced any...) but these booster bars are so tasty that I couldn't resist blogging about them! They make the perfect addition to a lunchbox to munch on when you get a little peckish whilst working. The recipe comes from Hugh's book River Cottage Everyday which has a fabulous section all about lunchboxes.

You start off by warming unsalted butter, honey, soft brown sugar and crunchy unsweetened peanut butter over a very low heat until it is all melted and mixed together. Stir it occasionally to make sure everything is getting properly mixed.

Once it is melted down take it off the heat and add in porridge oats, dried fruit (one or a mixture of sultanas, raisins, apricots, figs, dates, prunes etc...) and seeds (I used a mix of sesame, linseed, pumpkin seed and sunflower seed). Stir it all together so that the melted concoction is nicely holding all of the fruit and seeds together and then spread it out into a baking tray that has been lined and greased. Scatter the top with a few more mixed seeds and drizzle with some extra honey.

Place the tray in an oven preheated to 180 degrees and leave it for half an hour until it is nicely golden all over. When you take it out of the oven place it on a rack to cool and make sure it is completely cold (this takes quite a while!) before trying to cut it up into perfect lunchbox sized bars.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog is so pretty! Those bars look delicious! I love peanut butter so I will definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they really are fabulous! Filling that hunger you get around 11am perfectly at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take this post as strict instructions and say I will most *definitely* do what you say.
    That looks too nice not to try!

    My mouth's watering already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Amy, if you had an online shop I'd be placing an order!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, just been trying to work out how to email you about a guest post on Fennel & Fern. Get in touch if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,
    I just love the sound of this. I have the book and you have persuaded me to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. William and mangocheeks - you should definitely drag the cookbook out and get cooking. The number that I made have managed to last us all week so have been perfect!

    Damo - thanks, they have been very tasty but so easy to make at home.

    Isabel - I'd love to guest post on Fennel & Fern! Will be in touch...

    ReplyDelete

You might also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails